Tybee Island has a variety of events as part of its annual "Tybee For The Holidays" programming.
· The Lights On for Tybee Celebration begins on Friday, December 5 at 6:30 p.m., when Mayor Jason Buelterman lights the Christmas tree downtown at the Tybrisa/Strand Roundabout. The evening will include live entertainment, extended store hours, specials and refreshments at participating locations throughout downtown Tybee Island. Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus will also make a special appearance.
· The Tybee Island Christmas Parade kicks off Saturday, December 6 at 1 p.m., running from the 14th Street beachfront lot (behind Ocean Plaza) to the YMCA on 5th Street. Get into the holiday spirit at this old-fashioned Christmas parade as Mr. & Mrs. Claus are led to the Tybee Gym for photo time & family fun!
· On December 19-20, Fort Pulaski will commemorate the Confederate Nog party of 1861 with the Fort Pulaski Candle Lantern Tour. Each year during the holiday season, visitors can take a night-time tour of the historic fort by candlelight and oil lamps. Hot cider, cookies, caroling and weapons firings will allow guests to re-live the festive occasion of 1861.
· Tybee Island will ring in 2015 with the New Year’s Eve Fireworks Celebration, igniting the open sky with one of the largest firework displays in the Southeast on Wednesday, December 31 at the stroke of midnight. Enjoy the fireworks from the pier, the beach or anywhere on the east side of the island.
· At noon on Thursday, January 1, thousands of island visitors and residents decked out in costumes take part in the annual Tybee Polar Plunge at the Tybee Pier & Pavilion and dive into the frigid Atlantic Ocean to start the New Year.
For more information about Tybee for the Holidays and for a complete schedule of events, visit www.VisitTybee.com