The structure was built in 1913, was designed by Hyman Wallace Witcover, and architect of significant buildings including City Hall, the Bull Street Library and Sacred Heart Church. He trained with Alfred Eichberg, one of the most prolific architects in the city at the time. The center section 1108 Bull Street was built for the Chatham Artillery, and was bought by the American Legion Post no. 135. In 1942, the Eighth Air Force was begun in this building. The east and West wings were used as storefronts for rental income. The Gothic-revival facade features fortress-like elements. The ballroom upstairs was designed for military and social events. The southern end of the building 1110 Bull Street once housed a furniture store and later a bank. Today, it is home to a restaurant, Local 11 Ten, and is an excellent example of adaptive reuse of a historic building.