As promised, Gregg Allman is coming back to town, to play a show in the Johnny Mercer Theatre Jan. 21.
Allman, a resident of Richmond Hill, had to cancel six weeks of shows on his Low Country Blues tour at the end of the summer due to illness.
But all’s well now, and he’s back out on the road, where he’s been for well over 40 years. Tickets for the Savannah concert are scheduled to go on sale Friday, Oct. 21 through the Civic Center box office.
Opening the shiow: Allman Brothers Band drummer Jaimoe and his Jasssz Band.
Gove this weekend
Gove Scrivenor is one of those acoustic artists who’s been around for years, has a massive cult following and loads of famous friends who’ll record with him at the drop of a hat (John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Nanci Griffith etc). Yet he’s never had a “hit,” and most people probably don’t know his name.
Back in the old days of the Nite Flite Cafe, Scrivenor - whose instrument of choice is the autoharp - was a frequent visitor to Savannah.
He’s back in town Oct. 23 for a 7:30 p.m. show in the courtyard of the Ships of the Sea Museum. The Savannah Folk Music Society is the sponsor.
Tickets are $10 general admission, $8 SFMS members, $5 children/students.
And now, this
• Hot off the presses: Edwin McCain performs Oct. 22 (that’s this Saturday) at the Jasper County Farmers Market. Tickets for the 8 p.m. show are $20 advance at jaspercounty chamber.com, and they’ll be $25 at the gate.
• Coach’s Corner on Victory Drive is pulling out all the stops for Rock ‘n Roll Marathon weekend. We’ve already told you about the Mother’s Finest show there on Nov. 3; just announced is a show from Kevin Kinney and Drivin N Cryin for Nov. 4.
• The 2012 Savannah Music Festival lineup will be announced at the organization’s Nov. 9 Audra McDonald performance, at the Lucas Theatre.
• The phenomenal British soul band The New Mastersounds has another Savannah date coming up soon – back at Loco’s Grill & Pub on Nov. 10. Yow!
• The next Savannah Stopover–sponsored show, on Nov. 17 at the Ships of the Sea Museum, will feature roots band Pokey LaFarge and the South City Three. Tickets are $12 at showclix.
@ The Sentient Bean – A poetry and music open mic with an emphasis on… (more)
@ The Wormhole – … (more)