Since the last issue of Connect Savannah came out, eight people were shot in Savannah, one dead.

Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police are investigating the shooting of a Savannah man as he was leaving a bar Saturday morning.

Ashley Edwards, 25, of the 11000 block of Middleground Road, received non-life threatening injuries when he was shot by a male he had argued with earlier as bar at Gwinnett and Paulsen streets was closing about 2:48 a.m. He was transported to Memorial University Medical Center for treatment.

Detectives are investigating a shooting in East Savannah that left one man dead and a second injured Friday night.

Arkeen Abron, 29, of Port Wentworth, and Showkey Barnes, 37, of the 200 block of Cummings Street, each were transported to Memorial University Medical Center after the 7:39 p.m. shooting on the 1200 block of East Seiler Avenue.

Abron was pronounced dead and Barnes was being treated for his injuries.

Jatoya White was found on the 700 block of West 39th Street suffering from non-life threatening gunshot wounds at 12:42 a.m. Friday.

Dion Folston, 17, was found suffering from non-life threatening gunshot wounds on the 1300 block of 36th Street at 8:20 p.m. Thursday night. Investigators are looking for a dark colored pickup truck, in which the suspect is believed to have fled the scene.

Ron Smith, 19,  was found with a bullet wound by state troopers who stopped a car on I-516 about 1:13 a.m. Thursday. Occupants of the car said he’d been shot while walking at Abbot and Chester Streets earlier and they were taking him to a hospital. Officers had responded to a shots fired call near that intersection about 1 a.m.

Jermariae Heyward, 20, of a Lural Green Court address, was located in a residence on the 200 block of West Henry Street about 12:45 a.m. when officers responded to a shooting call.

Rex Hausmann, 31, of the 600 block of Whitaker Street, was found with a bullet wound at Whitaker and Hall streets about 11:12 p.m. Wednesday.

• In non-shooting news, members of the public, patrol officers and undercover detectives worked together last week to interrupt a robbery in which a man was being beaten and took three suspects into custody.

Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Islands Precinct Officers, alerted by passers-by, surrounded a house on the 300 block of Lawton Avenue about 9:43 a.m. last Thursday and were quickly joined by detectives from both Islands and Central precincts.

Responding officers observed a blue Toyota Corolla speeding from East Henry Street onto Live Oak Street and crash into the front steps of a house.

Three males have been arrested in the investigation.

• A Savannah man wanted for aggravated assault and eight other charges was by U.S. Marshals on July 17.

Jermaine Maurice Young, 38, was wanted for aggravated assault, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, terroristic threats, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, theft by taking, interfering with calls for emergency assistance, criminal trespass, and two charges of cruelty to children for an incident on May 24, 2014, in the 1300 block of East 31st St.

An investigation revealed that Young was possibly in a home in the 1500 block of Vine Street. Task Force officers surrounded the residence and Young was arrested without incident.


Annually, investigations carried out by the U.S. Marshals result in the apprehension of over 36, 000 federal fugitives. More federal fugitives are arrested by the Marshals Service than all other federal agencies combined. In 2011, U.S. Marshals led task forces arrested more than 86,000 state and local fugitives, which cleared over 113,000 warrants.

Comments (0)

Add a comment

Add a Comment
  • or

Right Now On

Now Playing

By Film...

By Theater...